Thursday, May 01, 2008

Vintage

I stopped at Via's Vintage Wear in Uptown this evening when I was out and about. I was looking for a bow tie - not a clip-on, not a ready-made, but a real, honest-to-goodness, tie-it-yourself bow tie. I had picked up instructions on how to tie one when I visited Heimie's Haberdashery a few days ago to buy some shirts and a necktie. The guy there showed me how to tie one and then gave me printed instructions. I'd just recently watched "Holiday" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn and liked the way the bow tie looked on Grant. The guy in the store told me that when you wear a bow tie, it frames your face differently; plus you have all that shirt space that would have been taken up by the necktie, so he said a bow tie is best worn with a three-piece suit or with a sweater or sweater vest. Here's my new tie:



Should I wear it to work, Kristin?

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Yes. Yes. 100% yes. I'll buy you Bou on the day you wear it so I can parade you through the D building:)

Dan said...

Wow - good job tying it. My dad once tried to teach me how to do a "Double Windsor" with a regular necktie, and this can't be any easier. Funny - just this week, I threw my hook-and-eyelet bowtie into a box intended for Arc of Hennepin County.

Sandra Haviland said...

I think you should wear it!! It's totally awesome, and will be perfect for Cinco De Mayo.

Chris said...

Matt, I truly believe that only a relative few people can pull off wearing a bow tie and NOT look foolish. Congrats, you've made into that elite grouping. Ohio State's president Gordon Gee is also a member of this club. I'd attach a photo, but I'm too lazy to find one and then figure out how to attach photos (haven't done that in ages)....it's true if you don't use it, you lose it. Anyhoo, the tie looks very fitting (no pun intended).

Uncle Rico said...

Orville Redenbacher?

Liz said...

And slightly imperfect! What a gentleman.